Own A Fireplace? Watch Out For Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide Fireplaces Image - Lake Norman NC - SirVent ChimneyHaving a fireplace is great, but only when homeowners use it safely. Improper fireplace use can lead to smoke back-up, chimney fires, and more. Staying educated on fireplace safety can make a huge difference in keeping your home and family out of harm’s way all year round.

There are many things to look out for. One of these things is carbon monoxide. If you have a fireplace, you are at a higher risk for carbon monoxide poisoning, which is why taking extra precautions is important in maintaining the health of your home and family.

About Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that will cause a lot of harm if gone undetected. Being invisible to the naked eye and free of any noticeable odor, many will not notice its presence until it is too late. If you are concerned that carbon monoxide has entered your home, keep a close eye on your loved ones and watch out for the following symptoms:

  • Dizziness
  • Vomiting
  • Feeling Weak
  • Pain in the Chest
  • Confusion
  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Prevention

There are a number of steps you can take to prevent this gas from entering your home. A big one is to schedule an annual inspection by a professional sweep. This regular upkeep will ensure that everything is running well and that no blockages have formed in your chimney or fireplace. Blockages can cause fumes to back up, and any dirt, creosote, or other debris makes your entire unit function less efficiently.

Another important step is to have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home. These devices will alert you if any fumes have entered the area, so that you can get your family out quickly. If you already have carbon monoxide detectors installed, be sure to check them on a regular basis and replace the batteries as needed.

Finally, if your chimney (or any other appliance) is in need of repair, call in an expert to address the problem. When your fireplace has cracks, holes, or any other damage, using it could put you and your family at a heightened risk for carbon monoxide exposure. Also, fixing the issue yourself is never the best option. If anything is repaired incorrectly, your home will still be at risk and no one may realize that a leak has occurred.

Call in an expert to ensure the job gets done right. Then, you will be able to enjoy your chimney and fireplace to the fullest all season long!

Turn To Us Now!

If you have any concerns about the safety of your home and fireplace, please let us check things out. The technicians at SirVent Chimney and Venting Service are trained and certified to ensure your chimney is cleaned, inspected, and ready for regular use. You deserve peace of mind. Kick the New Year off right by calling us in today!

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply